Monday, September 9, 2013

Stone wall

This would be the second painting I am planing to send to India.

I took a few reference photos behind my work place. The beautiful stone retainer wall has always drawn me in.
As I finished painting the stones in, I realized, they looked like mosaic kitchen back-splash. Something I would love to have in my kitchen, but not so much in this painting. It looks flat.
I just painted a dark color over the back splash and went over it again with palette knife this time. Now I feel that one can get a sense that the wall is leaning backwards and the large stones are almost stacked on top of each other. I also desided to make the side wall curve up to the right as in the actual photo.  I was struggling with the grass on the side. 

I started using my M. Grahm paints and went a little overboard with painting the lines as you can see above. However, once it was done it started looking a little too childlike/unrealistic. 
Sept 17, 2013:
I changed to fan brush and changed up the gran durung class at WAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment