Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Calm pond

J recently took me to the super peaceful weekend at Lovett's inn in Franconia, NH for my birthday! And ofcourse, going with my current obsession, I packed my basic painting gear.

However, after the eventful flipped canoe on Saturday, the only time I had was about 2 hours Sunday morning after Bella's walk and breakfast and before the checkout time. Unfortunately, as beautiful Franconia is, I had still not found a view that truly inspired me. I think it is the effect of peak summer. Everything is green.. and given the heat wave, there aren't that many flowers. Well, even if there were flowers, flowers are not really my thing when it comes to painting.

Anyways, when we were out on the walk in the morning, we met an elderly couple, who apparently had been married for 50 something years if I remember it correctly. They were playing with the inn owner's dogs and the wife mentioned that right across the street from the inn was a beautiful pond. We checked it out, and indeed... it was right across the street but hidden by bushes and flowers, and surrounded by tall trees on one side and and bushes on the other with a reflection of s faraway mountain making it even more pretty!

Unfortunately, my camera and both our phones had gotten wet in the canoe trip and the only camera we had left was J's film camera that he swears by as the best camera in the world. Unfortunately, not so much for me. This is the picture I pieced together with the pictures we developed.
According to J, some parameter was not set right! And her is the other view where you can see me painting.
Given the short amount of time I had to setup and that the sun had already started coming out and warming up the place, I did not get too far it plein air.

Here is the progress as I try to remember the actual colors and beauty of the view and put it on canvas.


No comments:

Post a Comment